Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Life Lessons from the Mud



I am now a 7 time Tough Mudder. I am damn proud of that. I am damn proud of getting 3/4 of the way across the monkey bars for the first time this weekend. And I am damn proud that I did a double Tough Mudder - two back to back days.


But I realized something this weekend. Tough Mudder has so many layers of life lessons and I have learned so much over the last year and a half completing these events. Jessie and I reflected on our way home Sunday about all the amazing things you learn from TM.

Some have said "you're crazy" others just shake their head and say "mudder" and the others are speechless. I say TM is "fun," "hard," "challenging," "crazy" and so many other things.

At the beginning of the event, the group rallies together in a tight close area at the starting line. An MC guy (wish I knew his name) gets you so pumped up, it's crazy. But before the event officially begins, you recite a pledge. I posted the pledge at the top of the blog. Have you ever been to an event where you recite a pledge before starting?

Let's break it down:

As a Tough Mudder I pledge that:

1. I understand that TM is not a race, but a CHALLENGE. Isn't this is what life is all about? It is about challenging yourself and others around you. I did my first TM because it was a new challenge. I had conquered the marathon, the 10k, and I needed something hard. And guess what - I was scared out of my mind during the first event. Just about every obstacle terrified me until I realized...I could do it. I completed each and every obstacle. Often with the help of my friends.

2. I put Teamwork and Camaraderie before my course time.  There is no clock at TM. There is no finish time. There are no results pages online. There is only an orange headband. The hours fly by while you're having fun with friends - new and old. This past weekend Jessie and I did the event with our friend Chris but we also met a guy named Brian and added him to our team. Turns out he went to college at Iowa - automatic new friend. We stuck together with our team the entire team. Leave no one behind. Seems like a new trend - meet a new friend at each TM. We met Danielle in Colorado. It doesn't matter who you are, you can talk to anyone and bond over anything at TM. 

3. I do not whine- KIDS whine. I'll be honest - I can be a whiner. You put me in the Arctic Enema and I whine. But this is a major life lesson. Whining gets you nowhere. Figure out why you're whining, fix it, and move one. Yep, the obstacles are hard, but that's what they are designed for. Yep, life is hard, that's what it's designed for :)

4. I help my fellow Mudders complete the course. There is no better display of team work than TM. You help anyone and everyone who needs a hand. There's also a lot of inappropriate touching. But when you need help over a 9 foot wall, it doesn't matter.


5. I overcome ALL fears. This is huge. There is an obstacle to challenge any fear. Life is about conquering fears. It does not have to be in a pile of mud. It could be going somewhere new, meeting a new person, taking on a new challenge at work, or even trying a new food.

Here is what I learned from my time in the mud:

  • Inspirational people are everywhere. We met a woman on the course who has lost over 65 pounds and quit smoking and the TM was her way of proving to herself she could do it. Did I mention she was 55 years old? Or the girl who has another 50 pounds to lose and she's out there doing it, hell or high water. It's pretty cool that I did it back to back days, but these people are the real story. They are the true inspirations. If they can do it, anyone can do it. 
  • People are willing to give out free hugs. There was a guy running in the same pack as us who had on shorts and he painted on his back "free hugs." So as we approached the Mud Mile obstacle I shouted to him "I'll take my free hug at the end of the mud mile. He said "I'll be waiting for you." And I was a few mud mountains away from him and I shout out to him "I'm on my way!!" Sure enough- I got done and there he was. Waiting to give me a free hug. I have a picture of it, but it's not downloaded yet. What would the world be like if we got or gave free hugs more often?
  • It is the coolest feeling to be with a group of people with a common goal. You know that everyone who lines up at the start line is there for a common reason. Start and finish. 
  • I am stronger than I thought and I hold myself back. Exhibit A - monkey bars. Got 3/4 of the way across and I was just scared.
  • Connecting with people. Whether it's the people on course or the people with the orange headbands and dirt at Buffalo Wild Wings - you are bonded with a group of strangers. You see someone with a tough mudder shirt and you smile. You know where they've been and what they've done.
  • Tough Mudder is fun. Playing in the mud is fun. A guy at work said "it's like going to Valley Fair (amusement park) when you're little and running from ride to ride." You just run to the next obstacle with such anticipation. 
  • When you start something - it feels incredible to finish it.
  • I and anyone who is willing to try - are capable of so much more than we ever imagined.





 And for your viewing pleasure here are a couple videos from our experience this past weekend. Enjoy :)






No comments:

Post a Comment