Thursday, January 24, 2013

Baby it's Cold Outside

Some people wonder why any one in their right mind would live in Minnesota? We had a high of -10 the other day, then a low of -25, a wind chill advisory, icy sidewalks, bitter cold cutting wind that just slices you through when you walk outside and takes your breath away. And it's illegal to idle your car to warm it up on the street...I'm in big trouble. 


Even my dog has to wear a coat and she's not happy....

But as easy as it is to complain..and I HAVE complained, I have to remind myself I could live anywhere I want to.....but I live here and for good reason.

Today a good friend is coming to visit from Denver. She texted me last week and asked "how much of my winter clothes do I need to bring?" My answer...EVERYTHING.

We have the biggest and best Minnesota experience weekend and of course, even though it's bitterly cold, most of these are outside.

Tomorrow night: Crashed Ice. Jessie and I and our friends Chris and Scott went to this event last year in St Paul and it was incredible. 






Then there's the Winter Carnival and the Securian Winter Run. Two more winter traditions in the North Land. Snow sculptures, ice sculptures, winter running, parades, amazing. 




There will also be my favorite (indoor) winter sport...Minnesota Swarm Lacrosse. We stumbled onto this sport when we moved here and have been season ticket holders ever since. It's the right mix of hockey, basketball, and many other sports. 


And this weekend there will be a new experience of the Ice Castles at the Mall of America. Where else does this happen??

Other things to do this weekend to show the glory of Minnesota: Juicy Lucy's (if you don't know what this is, you have never been here), Caribou Coffee (native of MN), tubing at Buck Hill, and spending time outside.

It is so easy to complain about the cold, but these are just a few of the glorious MN events that are available because it's COLD here. 

I'm excited to put on my cute boots, big huge ugly purple Barney coat, bomber hat, 5 sets of mittens and gloves, hand and feet warmers, my favorite scarf, and go out there and be cold while experiencing what MN has to offer.

But......it never hurts to have a winter vacation planned. I am heading to the warm land of AZ in a month. Every one needs a getaway.

Stay warm, drink coffee, eat soup, spend time with friends, and enjoy what your environment has to offer instead of wanting to be somewhere else.






1 comment: