Thursday, February 21, 2013

S.A.D.

So I was listening to the radio the other day and the woman talked about how she did a survey at her office and asked everyone if they were cranky. Every single person said yes, they were cranky. And then she was reminded that every one gets cranky at this time of year. When I first moved to MN my clients told me that it was necessary to take a vacation in February. I puffed up my chest and said "I'm from Iowa, I can survive winter." Well, five years later I took a winter vacation and haven't looked back. I am off to Arizona tomorrow for some sun, fun, and of course an event - Tough Mudder :)

But let's talk about being cranky and S.A.D. Seasonal Affective Disorder. This is no joke. So what do we do to become un-cranky? Obviously a vacation is a great option but there are others. Simply going to a new restaurant, exploring a new store, having a stay-cation and staying in a hotel in/around your town, going to a cabin, making a new food, spending more time with friends, sitting under a light therapy lamp every day, and so many other things.

This brings me back to the idea of play. I truly believe we do not do enough play in our lives today. I was reminded of how fun it is to play at my birthday party. Yes I said birthday party. Jessie and I for our shared birthday booked a party at Sky Zone Trampoline park. When the girl called to confirm the party, the conversation went something like this:

SZG (sky zone girl): Hi, I'm calling to confirm Lindsey's party
Me: Great
SZG: Okay, great. How old is Lindsey turning?
Me: Well, I am turning 29 and my friend is turning 31. 
SZG: pause, pause, chuckle, chuckle, okay that's great.

Fast forward to the party and 18 of our friends came and jumped on trampolines, ate pizza, and drank pop. It was a riot. Everyone laughed, jumped, flipped, sweat, and overall had a great time.

So maybe the cure to S.A.D. is to PLAY. Find a way to play. 

But if you are stuck at this moment with ideas, watch my two favorite you tube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX8nswnUKU

Have a great week and enjoy your time to PLAY




No comments:

Post a Comment