Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spoon

On more than one occasion recently I have had discussions with others about why we compare ourselves to other people. Things like:

  • They are prettier
  • They have a better job
  • They have a better life
  • I have to have a better car
  • Why can't I be like others?
  • I'm not as smart
  • I'm not as skinny
  • I don't have enough money
  • And the list goes on and on and on and on
So why do we compare ourselves? Sometimes it might motivate us to work harder, achieve more or strive higher. But most often it leads us down a path of negativity and breeds more negativity. 

Ironically this must be in the air. I have read several blog posts about this topic and seen many motivational sayings in the last couple of weeks. But I want to start with a children's book. When you are best friends with a preschool teacher, you get to hear about a lot of great children's books. This one is called "Spoon"


I know I won't get the story entirely right, but I will get the moral of the story. Spoon is complaining to his mom about how knife and fork get to do all the cool stuff. His mom gently reminds him that fork and knife are actually quite jealous of him because of all the cool stuff he gets to do. 

That doesn't give the story justice but it gets the point across. Why do we spend so much time comparing ourselves to others? We often forget that someone else is likely comparing their life to yours.

So it's time to stop comparing, be proud of who you are, what you do, and what you look like.

My fellow coach and great friend wrote a beautiful blog post about being perfect. Please take time to read it but here is part of it.


Are you fond of saying that you are not perfect?

I am not trying to convince you otherwise, but I do want to invite you to reflect on the effect that it has on your psyche. I happen to believe that this statement cuts into our own self worth, self confidence and self love and I am wondering if it is costing you something by saying it. Words have power my friends, so every time you affirm something like this – you are affirming an underlying belief about yourself that may not be true.

Saying this may also be an excuse for making mistakes or not letting yourself embrace the clumsy part of you (or whatever else might come to mind). What kind of standard are you creating for yourself? What kind of standard are you creating for others? Can you or others ever live up to it?

Why are you so mean to yourself? Start being perfect today. 

And just in case you need a reminder about what life is really all about - watch this video if you haven't seen it. Beware: if you cry easily, you will sob with snot running out of your nose.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjKgV65fpo


Have a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment