Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's more than just football........

Iowa Hawkeyes vs Northern Iowa Panthers.

My mom and brother are graduates of UNI and my younger brother is currently at Iowa. But this post is not about education, it is about football!! Disclaimer - I was never a fan....until recently.  For some reason this summer I found myself saying...when is it football season?? What??? That is not like me at all.  But after this weekend I think I have figured out why I enjoy it. 

This is the third year I have gone to an Iowa game and each one has been a different experience.  The past couple of years I have woken up at 4am to drive there and tailgate.  Play some lawn games, eat some great food and people watch.  This year the game was a little later and there was no tailgating fun.  However, we walked through all the different parking lots and observed people and behavior.  


 But what I realized is....it's more than just football.  It's about being a part of something, a group, being loyal and connected.

And of course it's about wearing underwear and boots carrying an American flag.



How cool when you even find someone wearing the same outfit as you?? Hahahaha. 
 Then you go into the stadium and it's an amazing environment with the energy and excitement and you can't help but be pumped up!!!

And then they play "back in black" and you get goosebumps when it's 90 degrees outside.
But the overall point is about being a part of something. It does not have to be football, but are you a part of a group? Church, book club, knitting club, volunteer group, etc.  We are human beings and we need to be connected.  

Here are a couple articles to spark your thinking. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201203/it-is-motivating-belong-group

http://experiencelife.com/newsflashes/the-health-benefits-of-volunteering/

Take some time this week to think about groups you are a part of and how that affects your life and if you are not currently a member of a group - START ONE!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment