Thursday, March 28, 2013

Equal Rights

My parents taught me so many things throughout my childhood: work hard, respect your teachers, be nice to others, brush my teeth before bed, many many more. But the most important one is they told me to accept others. They taught me that everyone deserves a chance no matter their skin color, where they came from, or what they look like. 

Every so often in my blog, I feel compelled to write about something that is not as funny as doing parkour or getting electrical shocked at Tough Mudder. I'm writing this blog about the marriage equality fight.

This past summer was the big "VOTE NO" campaign in Minnesota. http://mnunited.org/get-involved/
I remember going to the Minnesota State Fair in September while everything was really ramping up and I saw an entire family with VOTE YES buttons on. Two parents and two young kids. I was appalled! How could these parents teach their kids that there are some people in this world who can't have the same rights as others? When I sat back and thought about it, I remembered that their religious beliefs lead them to believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I can respect their belief but it brought me to the idea of my parents. They taught me that everyone is equal and everyone deserves the same treatment.

My best example of this from my childhood is in the 3rd grade. I went to a Catholic school but a Lutheran church. I was not allowed to take Communion during school service. Once I was old enough to figure this out I remember thinking "God loves all of us, so why can't I have communion?" So.....I went and took Communion. God loves us all the same. My parents taught me that, my church taught me that, and my school taught me that. 

And last fall a lot of these pictures were popping up on the Internet, which speak a thousand words. 

This blog post was not intended to argue with anyone, get into a religious fight, but to express my thoughts with all of you. 

My parents taught me to treat everyone equally - did yours?



And lastly I have been listening to this album obsessively for weeks and his song "same love" says everything. Give it a listen.



My favorite line from the song: "America the brave still fears what we don't know
And God loves all his children, is somehow forgotten"

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment