Thursday, August 16, 2012

Surprise

It was beautiful weather last Saturday and I enjoyed the evening at the Minnesota Stars soccer game. I go in, walk around, buy a Diet Coke (guilty pleasure) and notice a sign at a booth that says "sign up for the halftime challenge" I think to myself...I should sign up my friend because that would be be hilarious if her name got pulled. But just as soon as I had the thought, it passed. I ran into a client, chatted with her, and went back to my seat.

Great weather, good game, and then it's a few minutes before halftime and all of a sudden I hear my name called on the loudspeaker. "Lindsey Heiserman please report to the booth by the entrance a few minutes before halftime to participate in the challenge."  I knew what had just happened. My friend did to me exactly what I had thought about doing to her. By now she is cracking up, rolling with laughter, and causing a scene. 

I think to myself....
there's no way I'm doing this
this is stupid
I can't believe she put my name in
I'm not wearing the right shoes
what if I look dumb?
what if I lose?
how embarassing!!!!
no one knows me here...oh YES they do...my client is here

After some coaxing and encouragement, I get over it and decide that maybe it won't be that bad.

See for yourself...


In reality...it was really FUN!! Why had I been so uptight? The guy I competed against thought this was the best thing ever and was out there to have fun. So I took his cue and had a great time.

But the best part of the story is my friend. I'm pretty sure this made her day. So when was the last time you surprised your friend or your spouse or significant other? When did you call someone spontaneously? Or buy a card or plan a surprise day or evening?
Or when was the last time you volunteered and got out into the community?

I challenge you to go out and surprise someone and you might even surprise yourself in the process. 

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.  ~Leo Buscaglia


Have a great week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment