Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Grass isn't always greener

I was at a physical therapy appointment the other day.

Here's a quick "small world" story on how I got to this particular clinic.

A couple years ago my mom and dad went to a physical therapy at a clinic in Marshalltown, Iowa, my mom chats up her physical therapist. 

  • Where did you go to college? (Truman State University)
  • No way, so did my daughter. What year did you graduate? (2006)
  • No way, same year as my daughter. What program were you in? (Exercise science)
  • No way, same as my daughter.
  • Did you know her? (I don't think so)
  • No, you don't remember...cool...I will ask her.
So my mom relays the conversation to me and I say "I think I remember having classes with him." Fast forward to last year and my mom's pt Grant and his wife (my dad's PT) are moving to the Twin Cities to start a physical therapy business. Fast forward to now and I go there for physical therapy as well. Small world. 

Anyway, I am in the clinic doing a challenging exercise and I hear a song coming from next door. There happens to be a custom car shop where many of the Minnesota Vikings go to get their cars all tricked out. The song has these lyrics....

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it."

10 seconds to guess the song.

I say to Grant, "isn't that funny...they are playing Justin Bieber next door?" He laughs and I say "it's even better that I know that song" And then I picture a MN Viking driving their newly tricked out car jamming to Justin Bieber. Hilarious visual. Pause and picture it :)

Now before you make fun of me for liking that song, that particular lyric has some darn good meaning. 

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it."

Don't we always want what we can't have? Or what we don't have at the moment? 

  • More money
  • More friends
  • Better job
  • Better house
  • Better car
  • More vacation
  • More time
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • ETC

But instead, let's take time to think about what we do have and how to make it better. It can be challenging, but so rewarding. 

I have been blessed with so many things in my life. Here are just a few. 
  • Great family, friends, co-workers, job, clients
  • I had the opportunity to go get an education
  • I have a roof over my head
  • I have two of the greatest dogs
  • I can travel and compete in running and crazy events
  • I have a working vehicle
  • The sun is shining today
  • I live in Minnesota (yes I love MN)
  • I wear a tutu to run in
  • My list could go on and on. I have green grass.



I recently had a friend make a list of 58 things she was proud of herself for. Amazing what items came up on her list. Her grass just got greener.

Go make YOUR grass greener. 

In case you want to hear the whole song, here it is. Enjoy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4em3LKQCAQ Feel free to start at 1:30 and skip the beginning. 

Have a great week and if you enjoy my blog, please do me the honor and pass it on to your friends and family.

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment