Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Black Friday Bliss

This video sums up this week's blog. 


I call her Target Lady and she is my black friday idol. She blends well with my profession. Black Friday is nothing to take lightly. You must have goals, a plan, and you must train. 

For several years I have gone black friday shopping and most recently this shopping excursion has started at midnight when the mall in Des Moines opens. But Kohl's also opens at midnight and Target used to open at midnight. It has been intense trying to manage all 3 of these locations at once. Which items are of most importance? Can you send different people to different spots? How do I maneuver like a ninja through the store to get that $9.99 waffle maker? 

Just like Target Lady, I take this seriously. Here's another video illustrate my point. It is not a job for "weak thighs."


People always ask me "what did you get?" And the answer every year is "not much." and then I get a very strange look and people who do not enjoy black friday shopping don't understand. You see, it's not about what I buy because a lot of the deals can be found later in the day on Friday, but it's about tradition. 

It's about taking a nap from 8:30-10:30pm on Thanksgiving, getting up and driving to Des Moines to arrive at the stores at midnight. Looking at the intense traffic at midnight and the crazy parking lots. Standing in line at Kohl's for an hour even though later that day there will be no line. That $9.99 crock pot is a steal! 

It's about eating at the food court at 2:30am to keep your body fueled and moving through the night.  It's about hitting a tired spell around 4am and then somehow getting a major second wind around 6am and then finishes with trying to figure out how to stay awake on the drive home at noon. Oh and that nap all afternoon and then waking up to eat another Thanksgiving meal of leftovers.

Reason why I do all this craziness - it's a tradition that I love. What holiday traditions do you have? My favorite month of the year is almost here - December. I happen to love everything about the holiday season. The bright cheery stores, the hustle, the bustle, the crisp, sometimes very cold air, buying presents, giving presents, baking cookies, and on and on and on.



But in talking with others, they do not all share the same sentiment as I do.  The holidays can be stressful, draining, exhausting, and even a letdown.  But as you enter the holiday season, think about what traditions you enjoy or maybe traditions you want to start. 

I have a new tradition with friends that started a few years ago that includes making "special" gingerbread cookies. There is nothing better. Then there's the age old tradition of driving around and looking at lights, or going to the Holidazzle parade while freezing.                        

How can you give of yourself during the holidays? Who or how can you help out? How do you want to remember the month of December when it is over? 

As December 1st approaches, take some time to think about traditions. Have any slipped away that you want back? Which traditions would be amazing to start this year? 

If you haven't had enough of my idol Target Lady, here are a few more videos.  

This one is my favorite :)



Happy Holidays~


No comments:

Post a Comment