Thursday, November 22, 2012

Experiences

Happy Thanksgiving!! 

As I write this on Thanksgiving I can think of endless reasons to be thankful and I hope you can as well.

But I want to share one story in particular and why I am so thankful.  I have one particular moment over the six years I have been a personal trainer that stands out. It will likely withstand the test of time as the moment I am most grateful and thankful for.

Three years ago I had clients who were participating in my group class ask me if we could do more work outs. Unsure of how I would bill this, I thought "we will do it for charity." I have always wanted to find a way to personally give back to the world, but monetary was not possible. But we all have the gift of time. So my charity work outs were born. Once a month I host an open work out and the minimum donation is $10. Then we or I choose a charity to donate the money to.  Sometimes these are national charities and some are local and/or personal.

Last fall I had a member of class (let's call her Hannah) tell me her sister had been diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor and had been given only months to live. This was a prime example of bad stuff happens to good people. I felt helpless and wanted to do something. Hannah tells me that she will let me know if I can do anything.

A few days later I came up with the best plan. I would secretly plan a charity work out and donate all the money to her. Well I opened my email and Hannah emailed me and asked if I would like to support them by having a charity work out.  I said of course. 

It was held on December 31st. There is always a buzz in the club because of the holidays and the end of the year. Hannah emailed me a list of all the people coming to support them. The list had over 30 names on it. I met Hannah at the top of the stairs and she had tears in her eyes and so did I. This was going to be amazing.

We had 46 people working out in support of Hannah and her sister. They also have another sister who was there. 46 people working out because they wanted to be able to do something. 

I led the work out with co-worker Sarah and we ended with everyone in a wall sit while different people ran around the track a few at time. Everyone was cheering, laughing, exercising, crying, and having a great time.

When the work out was over, we all were circled up stretching. Hannah gave the most beautiful speech thanking everyone for coming and for supporting their family. Her other sister also spoke and then a bunch of friends took video of everyone to show their sister all the support and friendly faces who showed up. I have never been so moved in my life. 

We raised over $1,200 in an hour and a half that day and it was the perfect end to 2011. Hannah's sister is still alive today, one year after she was given only a few months to live. 

So on this Thanksgiving day, I hope we can all take time to reflect, be thankful, but also think about what you can give in the future. It's not always money. It could be time, a listening ear, a hug or whatever feels right.

The charity work outs have continued on and we have raised close to $5,000 in three years. 

Remember in life it is all about experiences. 




Have a happy holiday and safe travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment