Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Think First

I am still recovering from Madonna floor seats. With that being said, I am going to bring a story back from the archives. This one will be good for a big laugh.

Almost every summer I run the Firecracker Run in Excelsior on the 4th of July. This particular summer, Jessie and I were running late (not surprising). We get in the car, get halfway to Excelsior and the gas light dings. BING Low on gas!!! Well I have never run out of gas in my entire life. Not to the point where the car stops. So I get a little nervous because we are late and still have a little ways to go to get to Excelsior. So we hold our breath and focus on getting to the run. We'll worry about the gas later.

After the run, we get in the car and start driving home. BING Low on gas!! CRAP CRAP. Well the best news is neither one of us has ANY money. No cash, no debit card, no credit card, nothing. We drove to the race and now we have to make it back while the car is DINGING. 

Both of us are little worry-warts. So we are panicking and starting to craft a plan. Hold on tight for this one folks:

Jessie: Well we have to go home and get money and then we'll go get gas. 

Me: OK

Jessie: But I don't think I should stop the car because what if it doesn't start or keep going?

Me: Um??!?!?

Jessie: So I think I'll slow down as we go past the house, you jump out, and I'll keep going. 

Me: OK

Is there anything wrong with this scenario?? Why am agreeing to jumping out of a car and does anyone think this is a good idea??

So Jessie slows the car down to about 8 miles per hour, I open my door, look out the door at the moving pavement, turn my body towards the back of the car, panic for a moment, and then jump out.

I hit the pavement, my sunglasses fly off my face, I do a couple rolls and then I bounce up and limp/run into the house. Remember-I don't want the car to run out of gas.

I grab the money, I limp/run down the street and get back in the car.

Jessie: Oh my gosh are you okay???? 

Me: Yes but I scraped in between my butt cheeks when I hit the ground. AND I lost my favorite sunglasses!!!

Jessie: I was so worried when I lost sight of you. And you aren't supposed to jump out of the car backwards. It's like a treadmill, why would you ever go the wrong way of the moving ground???

Me: Yeah that was so stupid.

So we get gas and then start laughing uncontrollably. 

It really is NOT smart to attempt to jump out of a moving vehicle. EVER

But it is very funny in hindsight.

I still miss those sunglasses. 


1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, I just saw your blog... very cute! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete